The Joy of Staying in
15 things to help with an unplanned staycation during the coronavirus
Over the past few weeks, the U.S. has been shutting down socially as more confirmed cases of the coronavirus are reported. In response, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that we all practice social distancing – cutting down on interactions between people and staying home with the goal of slowing the spread of COVID-19.
In theory, never leaving your home during this pandemic seems like an effective means of prevention and an easy measure to implement. In practice, however, this form of isolation has the potential to become tiresome and boring. The good news is it doesn’t have to be.
Think of this time at home as an unplanned Staycation! Use this time to truly unwind and refresh. Refamiliarize yourself with your own environment, things that bring you joy and find comfort in where you live.
We’ve created a list of 15 things to start you on your journey to the most satisfying staycation!
- Complete a puzzle. It’s a great way to unplug from screens and a fine break from the news. More of a word person? Pick up a crossword puzzle instead!
- Now’s a great time to focus on your skin. Treat yourself to face masks, moisturizer or a 10-step skin care routine you never seemed to have the time for.
- Take a break and look at cute animals! The San Diego Zoo has several live cams, as does the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. The Monterey Aquarium has a sea otter cam you can’t miss!
- Break out the board games. Play with your family at home or if you need to, setup a virtual game night online. There are a number of websites out there that have almost every board game you can think of.
- Organize, organize, organize. Been avoiding that place where you keep all the Tupperware? Now’s a great time to match all the lids to containers. Go even further and tackle that junk drawer (you know the one) or organize your supply shelves.
- Go through all your clothes and determine whether they bring you joy or if they must go. Learn about the KonMari Method to get you motivated! If you find yourself needing something new, you know we’ve got you covered in NEW Spring arrivals they must go. Learn about the KonMari Method to get you motivated! If you find yourself needing something new, you know we’ve got you covered in NEW Spring arrivals!
- Have a hobby you’ve been ignoring because daily tasks seem to get in the way? Not today. Pull out those knitting needles or use that pencil and paper to practice your self-portrait.
- Use Skype, FaceTime, or Google Hangouts to video chat with your loved ones.
- Take a bubble bath. Don’t pass up the chance to pamper yourself.
- Keep active so your mental and physical health stay lifted. Try out at-home aerobics or yoga videos or take a walk around your neighborhood.
- Plan what to wear. If you’re the type of person who looks forward to the packing, shopping and outfit preparing for a getaway then plan some outfits you can be comfy and stylish in at home instead! It’s important to create a new normal routine of what to wear. Clothes can help us keep our moods up. Look and feel good even if it’s just for your daily walk or video chat with your colleagues!
- Start a journal, a blog, or finally write that novel.
- Try something new. YouTube and Pinterest are a great resource for how-to videos for anything you can think of. Plus, they’re free!
- So, you’re tired of Netflix and looking for some entertainment that’s a little more substantial? How about a day in at the museum? Google Arts & Culture teamed up with over 500 museums and galleries around the world to bring everyone virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums in the world!
- Most importantly, get lot’s of sleep. Use this time at home to relax and come out more well rested than before.